Why I don't watch Korean dramas

I'm writing this more for myself (since I realised I periodically re-read my posts and am encouraged by some of them, especially this one.).
I remember I made this promise to God not to watch Korean dramas again after I threw a hissy temper when my parents refused to let me watch the last episode in the midst of my exams. That was when it hit me that I was so deeply engrossed.

I might be more socially conscious than others. But perhaps this has also caused me to lapse easily into a world where I can mindlessly lap up the pretty faces, the predictable plot and of course, more often than not, a good ending at the 16th episode.

I am writing this because I have been breaking this promise. Until 1030, I tell God. Then it was, just this one episode to spend time with my parents. Yesterday too, though I knew I would have trouble focusing on God's message in church today if I didn't sleep earlier. Lack of sleep isn't all though.

One big reason I decided by God's grace to flee from Korean dramas is due to how the scenes continue to play vividly in my mind, often blunting my discernment. For someone who has not been given her other half (yet?), the romantic plots entangle me in sin.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27 (NIV, emphasis added)

Yes, so with this post I recommit myself to this promise so that I may be free.


Comments